Victoria will review airflow within quarantine hotels and change mask policies for staff as it seeks to avoid a repeat of two suspected Covid-19 leaks.
Emergency services minister Lisa Neville, overseeing the revamped program, announced a ventilation review of all hotels within the system was under way.
“We don’t think at this stage this is about ventilation, but again we’re not leaving any stone unturned,” she told reporters on Saturday.
From Thursday night, hotel quarantine staff are also required to wear a face shield and surgical mask. Neville said the change was based on updated advice from infection prevention control experts, with hotel quarantine workers previously wearing just N-95 masks.
They will still don the more protective N-95 mask along with a face shield for encounters with infectious guests and when entering rooms for medical emergencies. In addition, hotel quarantine organisers have put “buffers” between family groups and other guests from Wednesday, resulting in 140 rooms being taken out of the system.
Food delivery times are also being staggered, reducing the risk of people opening doors at the same time.
The moves follow a case of suspected Covid-19 transmission among two separate groups of guests at Melbourne’s Park Royal Hotel, and a worker at the Grand Hyatt testing positive to the virus.